Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'm having a hard time....

We recently had Easton's 15 month checkup. The doctor came in and I blurted out that I still give Easton a bottle twice a day. Easton's doctor was also my doctor all growing up and has a way of making me feel... umm... accountable? In a way only a parent or childhood pediatrician can do. Anyhow... so I make the announcement that Easton is still getting a bottle and Dr. Mason looks at me and says "Are you planning to still give him one when he's in high school?" I reply by saying "Pfftt. No. Maybe middle school. But I only give it to him because it makes him so happy!" So then Dr. Mason says "Is that your goal in life? To make him happy?" I say, "No." (but am thinking... yes? shouldn't it be? what kind of doctor are you? what... you want me to beat him or something? God forbid my child is happy with his bottle. stupid doctor.)

Anyhow, so whatever. I decide to take baby steps and stop giving Easton his nighttime bottle (n0t the morning bottle though. my sweet child simply could not survive without his morning bottle, this I know). Truthfully he couldn't have cared less about the nighttime bottle... which isn't really surprising because he wasn't really drinking it to begin with. He would mostly just pour it all over the floor, himself, or us. So after several nights of this, I finally tell Dan how I have weaned Easton off his nighttime bottle (because I'm such a fabulous mom and know how important it is for my child to not be happy). Then Dan says.... "Yeah, I haven't been giving him one for a couple weeks." Oh. Hmm. Well. I say "Oh, ok. I didn't know we were doing that." (Note: it is OK for me to make Easton decisions and not consult with Dan, but it is not OK for Dan to make decisions without consulting with me... see upcoming blog on how Easton is MY CHILD and I simply allow Dan to be part of his life.. you know, I carried him in my belly, gave him life, had back labor, breastfed, etc.). Moving on... so I clarify with Dan that he's been doing fine without his nighttime bottle for him too? Then he says... "Well, both. I don't give him his morning bottle at all either." Gasp. Me: "What?? But... he's a baby and needs his morning bottle!" Dan: "No he doesn't, he's fine."

Whatever.

So as it turns out... I'm having a hard time without the bottle. He's my sweet little baby who needs to be snuggled while he has a bottle (he just threw a sippy cup at my face while I was sitting here typing.. so... maybe I need to rethink the sweet part). I am seriously not ready for him to give up bottles. He's probably going to be our only child, so I need just a little bit more time with his baby stage. So. I give him a bottle and snuggle him when Dan isn't home. HAHA!!

4 comments:

Cailen said...

Ha! I just knew Dr. Mason would get on you about the bottle! (Having been there before myself) It is funny, though, b/c he is anti-bottle but told me to let Colter take forever to potty train b/c it would cost me less to pay for diapers than therapy when he has problems later in life! I'm sure Dr. Mason means: It IS your job to foster happiness in your child BUT you can't let your child do whatever he wants all in the name of happiness. Sometimes you have to step in and make choices that are good for your child in the long run, even though it makes him unhappy in the short run. Maybe you can give him something low-cal, like 2% or even 1% if he still wants a bottle? I agree you should snuggle that cute bundle of babyness for as long as possible!

Abbey said...

You are too funny. Don't feel too bad, my niece Amelia had a bottle until she was about 2 1/2 years old. I think my sister had a hard time with it since she is still and only child.

The Brights said...

oh...I'm gonna have to agree with Cailen. You definitely want your child to be happy, but you don't want to over-indulge him either.
Grayson gets milk every morning, but its 2% in a sippy cup or sometimes even a real cup. Even this gets a bit cumbersome every morning, but I figure he's rehydrating from the night.

I know you can do it!! :)

joyce said...

ummm... i still nurse b, and she is 21 months old. i sometimes wonder if i'm doing it for me or for her, but still - i say make your baby (and you) happy! it's not going to scar him for life, right?