Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Dad and My Cancer

I had my stupid cancer treatment the other day. I mean my "stupid cancer" treatment, not that the treatment was stupid. Because hey - who doesn't love a little radiation?? The treatment made me.... well, somewhat of a danger to others for a couple of days. As such, I was banished to my parent's "bat cave" apartment during that time. Several years ago, my parents built the apartment for my grandpa who was living with them at the time. We call it the "bat cave" because it only has a couple of small windows and my dad had used some of my mocha-latte-cafe colored paint way back when to paint it. Unfortunately, while the color looked totally fab in my house full of windows, it did not do the apartment justice and made it very dark and bat-cave-ish.... thus the name - bat cave. Since then, my dad has repainted it and it's now a nice light color, but the name stuck.

So, I get to the bat cave and take my three hour nap (no baby = long nap for me... one of the only benefits of radiation treatment), wake up and take my first shower. The doctors said to take a lot of showers the first couple days because the excess radiation comes out through my body fluids (sweat, oil, etc), so I had to be sure to wash it all off... fun, I know. So I'm taking my shower and am scrubbing my skin and I start to hear a whole lot of banging above me. First I think it's just the water heater being rather noisy because it's probably not used very often (why do I think a water heater is noisy if it's not used too much??? I don't know. Seriously. I really don't know how I come up with half the things I obsess about). Anyhow, so then I decide a water heater can't make those noises and maybe it's the pipes (again... I don't know how/why pipes would make noises), then I decide it's my imagination but then quickly realize it can't be that because while I might have a ridiculous sense of how plumbing works, my hearing is perfectly fine. I finally decide my sister has brought her kids over and they are upstairs in the storage above the apartment banging around.

I finish my shower and get dressed and have quickly forgotten about those crazy noises from above. Then my dad knocks on the door (for the record, I know it's my dad cuz he's my daddy-o and I've heard his knock for 30 years.... so any would-be stalkers/murderers out there - don't even try to fool me cuz I know my stuff!). I open the door and my breath catches because I expected my dad and saw this.........

My sweet daddy-o is sooooooo funny! He dug out his hazmat suit (the noises from above) and thought he'd be a funny guy. It was pretty nice to have a laugh over the stupid cancer. And, he must really love me because he was more than happy to get close enough to snap a picture. Maybe I forgot to mention that I had to stay at least 6 feet away from other people for the first 2 days. And even now I can't be close to pregnant people or babies. But no worries! I'm perfectly safe and pose no danger to public safety. I know that's true because they gave me a card that says so. Seriously - they did. In case I fly the next three months because I'll set off the bomb detectors. Gotta love cancer. I have my scan on Thursday which will show where the cancer is/was, but I won't find out the results until Wednesday the 27th. I'll be sure to blog those results when I get them, which I'm sure will be a short "we kicked stupid cancer's ASS!" post, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see...




1 comment:

Cailen said...

This is so funny! Glad you got to spend time with Daddy even while you were bionic woman.