YOU JUST NEED TO THROW THINGS OUT A WINDOW!
We finally got a new computer (yay us!!) .. we've been needing a new one for a very long time. We also have not had a working printer for a very very very long time, which was actually a crappy computer problem, not a printer problem. But anyhow, Dan and I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a new computer.
So, I start setting it all up. Problems:
1) We got a wireless printer and as such doesn't come with a cord. Only sometimes you need one just to set it up. Of course, we are the "sometimes" and need a USB cord. That's ok, I could get one next time I'm in town.
2) Want to transfer files over from old computer to new computer, don't don't have a USB cord. That's ok cuz I'll use my external harddrive as a go-between.
3) External harddrive is at our friends (as it has been for a year) because they "might" want to download music from it. ? what? why? If they wanted to do that, they would just ask to borrow it AND the Hadley's don't really seem to be super into music..... but whatever. It's ok, I'll just use my flashdrive as a smaller go-between.
4) Can't find the flashdrive. It's in Dan's truck. Dan's truck is at his work. In Yelm. That's ok... I'll just save the files onto a CD and transfer them that way.
5) The old computer is so crappy it doesn't recognize the CD is in it and therefore won't copy files, which I quickly remember is why we needed the flashdrive and external harddrive. So that kinda sucks, but is ok, cuz I'll get a USB cord later when I run to Fred Myer to get gnocchi for dinner.
So, I run to Fred Myer, but forgot the gnocchi and the USB cord. Now jump ahead 3 days.
6) Buy a USB cord (for $30!! what?!?! I paid $60 for the printer (on sale, but still) doesn't $30 for the cord to hook it up with seem... i don't know.. STUPID??????). Go to hook the printer up, but it only needs one end as a USB thingy and the other end in a different shape. Well that super sucks, but maybe someone I know will have one cuz I only need it to initially hook it up.
7) Go to transfer files from old to new computer using the USB, but realize it's not as simple as just connecting the two computers with a cord. Must use "Easy File Transfer" program.
8) "Easy File Transfer" program is not on old computer. That's ok, it says I can download it from internet.
9) Cannot download "Easy File Transfer" because I am missing an update on old computer.
10) Cannot download missing update because I am missing the updates before that.
11) So that happens for an hour before I get super mad and decide to just download the OLD file transfer wizard onto the new computer and connect them that way.
12) Can't download old programs onto new computers. Decide that downloading all the missing updates onto old computer might be my best shot - it's been downloading for 2 hours and still has 43 minutes left.
I should say that Dan was asked (told) to get the external harddrive from the Hadleys, which he called and they left it in their car for him to get after work (oh no, do not even GET ME STARTED on how leaving our harddrive with EVERYTHING on it in a vehicle for someone to steal is a super bad idea)... but then after work he decided he just needed to get home (to what exactly is unclear) so he did not get the harddrive (Oh yes, the Hadley did not know he didn't get it, so yes, it sat in their car just tempting bad guys all day long). AND he still has the flashdrive with him because it has a baseball logo on it that he needed today.
OMG. I am going crazy!! I thought getting a new computer would be all sunshine and rainbows, but instead I'm still having to deal with the stupid old crappy computer frustration!!! There are now 32 minutes remaining on my download. Sigh.
I'm going nucking futs. (I'll let you figure that one out)
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment