Our smoke alarms just started chirping because they need new batteries. It's 10:40 pm. Really? This couldn't have happened 2 hours ago? .... karma - what did I do to deserve this??? (and dan?? "Spring Ahead, Fall Back" ring a bell?? change your smoke alarm batteries during the time change... sound familiar?? NO? hmm.)
If anyone has ever attempted changing all the batteries in the smoke alarms when their one year-old is trying to sleep, then they know what I'm talking about.
Because now? He's awake. And my quiet night-time glass of wine while I watch Amazing Race is no more. Now I can't see what the people who lost are crying about. How will I know what is going on?? Dan is trying (unsuccessfully) to put him back to sleep.
(Note: I have obsessed about this VERY thing happening! Except in my world, all of this would happen while Dan was at work and it would be the one super high up on the vaulted ceiling, thus making it impossible for me to change by myself, resulting in an "all-nighter" for me and Easton, but of course all of this would happen the night before I have something super important to do the next morning bright and early! And that's assuming that I don't try to change it even though it's super high up, and then I fall and break my neck, but nobody knows until the next morning when Dan finds me sprawled out on the living room floor while Easton screams in his crib, meanwhile, whatever I had to do bright and early wasn't happening, thus making even more people frantic. OMG! This is like my nightmare (one of them) actually happening! Except Dan is here. and nobody fell and broke their neck. and i don't have to be anywhere tomorrow. SO, really, it's just the smoke alarm part that actually happened. but still.)
MAJOR sigh.
(Easton is still screaming, fyi)
Damn smoke alarms.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Our smoke alarms always chirp at night, too. And then you'll get up in the morning and attempt to locate the chirping smoke alarm only to find that it's not chirping anymore. And then you wonder if you are going mad... was the smoke alarm chirping during the night? What was that noise you thought you heard? Then you forget about it, only to be awakened the next night by chirping. Which you then have to get up and investigate to make sure it really is a smoke alarm chirping and not some alien spaceship coming to suck out your babies' brains, and to help you locate which one needs batteries in case it suddenly decides in the morning, once again, that some daylight was all it needed. I hear ya, sister!
Ha ha - my post could mirror your sisters. I let it sit all night and bug me, and then come morning, can't remember where it was coming from - so frustrating! - Valerie
Post a Comment