Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Our hunting dog...

My sweet baby dog who is my pride and joy is finally growing up... well... I kinda don't love the dog as much as before we had Easton, but she is growing up! We took her camping this weekend and went for a bike ride with my dad's friend Ralph. She was following along nicely with occasional trips into the woods to investigate whatever (various animal poop is my best guess). I was pretty far ahead of Dan who had Easton in the bike trailer and usually by the time Dan got to where she would take off into the woods, she was back on the road. But this one time, she hadn't came back on the road yet and Dan stopped and started calling her over and over. Finally, she bolts out of the woods, runs over to Dan, and drops this:


Nyca caught and killed a grouse!! Since I am no longer a hunter and am not familiar with hunting regulations... I should probably not say what we did next, but will offer the following fictional story...

Standing along the logging road, Don, Kristine, and Relph debated what should be done with the grouse. Don wanted to take the grouse back to camp and eat it for lunch, but he didn't want to touch the grouse (haha!!). Kristine was on board with that idea, but was totally unwilling to touch the grouse either because she wanted Don to be the man and deal with dead animals... it was not because she was too grossed out to touch the grouse. Relph said he'd really like to eat it too, but pointed out that nobody was a licensed hunter. Kristine said he was right and we, er.. they should just throw it into the woods for the coyotes (it kills Kristine to break rules, except Don's rules which really doesn't bother her at all). Relph and Don said it was a stupid idea to let the coyotes eat it. Once it was decided by the rule breakers to keep the grouse, Relph said he would not put it on his bike rack because he didn't want to be the one to get a ticket when the game warden drove by. Don suggested to put it in the back of the baby's bike trailer and transport it back to camp (really? anyone heard of the west nile virus? or dead bird bugs?). Kristine said that was a totally bad idea because God only knows what nasty bird bugs would get on her sweet baby boy. Don and Relph said that was stupid and he'd be fine. The bird was then transported to camp where Relph showed Don how to be a man... I mean, how to skin a bird. Then it was cooked for lunch and was actually quite delicious.

I wonder what she'll catch next....

3 comments:

Cailen said...

I was hoping I would get to hear about this fictional story. I love the pictures! Nyca is such a stud. To think that you COULD live off the land, if you wanted to. Not that you DID live off the land this weekend. I'm just saying that you COULD. If you wanted to. Be rule breakers.

The Brights said...

Loved the story! I'm thinking that you could just blame the whole thing on the dog, right? Or....maybe the grouse was already dead...does that count? Ok..maybe I just freaked you out.

joyce said...

impressive! btw, i have zero interest in my pets since my baby was born... it doesn't help that the dog sometimes growls at her and the cat sometimes scratches her, and they both wake her up from hard-earned naps. still, i'm a bad pet owner.