Monday, June 29, 2009

Easton's first parade

Oh yes... it was that time of year again.... Yelm Prairie Days. I think this was my first year actually watching the parade. In the past I've either been working traffic control during the parade when I was a police officer or in the parade with a daycamp I used to work at. I really thought I would enjoy it and it would be a great thing to do with Easton... but seriously... the Yelm parade? WTF? There were taxi cabs in it. And dancing horses. And basically anything/anyone else who wanted to sign up.

And this one church float... first, it had a lady singing church hymns on a microphone, which really isn't bad in theory, except she was a terrible singer. I can say that without being judgemental because I'm a very awful singer. As such, I don't sing in public. There is a very logical link here: bad singer = no public singing. Secondly, after you made it through the verbal assault/singing, you think you've seen all the float has to offer, except at the very back of the float there is a stuffed dead deer hanging on. A dead deer? On a church float? I kinda don't see the connection there, except maybe because it's a hillbilly float in a hillbilly parade.

Needless to say Easton enjoyed himself. His looks went back and forth between "oh, cool!" to "What? Seriously guys? What's going on?" His auntie even shared some parade candy with him. Luckily he's too little to figure anything out, so we left after an hour because I couldn't take much more and the end was nowhere in sight. I heard the parade lasted another hour and half after we left, I figured I could leave early this year but probably won't get away with that next year. Except... I missed the Mexican dancing horses and only got to hear about it from my sister. Darn.

I'll attach some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Easton being super cute, as usual:


Colter, Anzley, and Bella (Missy Jo/Josh's daughter):


Colter in front of the guy who is part of the group that does tricks on motorcycles... you know, normal parade stuff:

1 comment:

Cailen said...

I can't believe you are knocking the Tenino Motorcycle Drill Team! They are my favorite part of the parade. Well, check that. They WERE my favorite part of the parade until this year when I think the Mexican Dancing Horses might have squeezed them out to take first place in Cailen's Favorite Parade Participants List. Those horses were seriously talented. Everything you don't like about the parade is what makes it awesome in my opinion... it's so random... no real floats; just everyone joining in and being celebratory and doing their stuff. Oh, by the way, did you miss the belly dancers/scarf holders/drum beaters? I wish they had a sign b/c i really wanted to know what that was about. And some people should NOT belly dance. Specifically people who have bellies that haven't seen the sun and are extremely cellulite-ish. Anyway, I am glad Easton was there to experience the cultural diversity of a small town parade.