Thursday, March 19, 2009

Surgery Update

This is Cailen. I'm guest-blogging for my sister who is in the hospital. As some of you may know, Kristen had surgery yesterday to remove part of her thyroid. She has an auto-immune disorder which destroys her thyroid and she also had a growth on one side of the thyroid. There was a 20% chance that the growth was cancerous. Unfortunately, the odds were against us yesterday. The growth turned out to be cancerous, so the surgeon removed her whole thyroid and some of her lymph nodes. Her prognosis is very, very good. This type of cancer is very treatable. She should be released from the hospital later today. She seems to be doing well...just experiencing some soreness and a hoarse voice. In a few weeks, she will be treated with radioactive iodine to destroy any remaining thyroid cells. For more information you can check out this site: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/thyroid

I found it to be very informative. Kristen has what's called papillary cancer. That's all for now.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Hello my friend, It was great to see you and Dan. Iam sorry you have joined the cancer train! I am here for you and I understand! Hang in there sister! L~I~V~E~S~T~R~O~N~G ~Marcia