And need some advice. Specifically with the night-time routine. My child has been taking no less than an hour and a half to go to bed at night. He does not stay asleep after this time, but will be asleep enough for us to set him in his crib. Typically he'll wake up a couple of times within a two hour period, requiring us to go and soothe him back to sleep. After a couple of hours, he's generally down for the night and very rarely wakes up until the morning.
As you can imagine, I'm a little batty from this routine of his and feel like I'm about to lose my cool. I have tried letting him cry it out, which only leads to horrific bouts of vomiting all over his crib, which generally leads to a midnight bath (I will post about this incident later).
Please help. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. Any at all....
(BTW, if anyone posts anything similar to "welcome to parenthood," I might just throw up.)
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Well, I don't know if you are rocking him and giving him a bottle in that effort of getting him to sleep enough to put him in the crib, but you might try laying him on his side and rubbing his back, tummy, temples or feet. We lived in the day when babies were supposed to sleep on their tummies because of SIDS, so that's what I did, and then rubbed Nathan's back for him. He loves it to this day! :)
Another suggestion is to ask the pediatrician or nurse.
~lat
teething seems to be the standard response when i ask about fussiness or restless sleeping... motrin or tylenol have worked for us a few times. or, sometimes gas drops, esp. if he is eating something new. our sitter has told us that swaddling has been helping with naps lately (and b is almost 1!) because the more they can do (like rolling), the more curious they are and the harder it is to stay asleep. last thing i can think of is that he is too cold or hot? don't know if those are helpful, but b has also changed from being a good to a restless sleeper and back... a couple of times!
Well...we often had these interesting bouts of waking too...and issues with going to sleep right away. I'm not into the whole "cry it out" thing....so I won't promote that. I think we probably rocked him quite a bit when he was a baby. Swaddling and a pacifier were life savers too. You never know what disturbs their sleep....could definitely be teething...could be growth spurt...who knows! I feel your pain though. We still have periods of crazy sleep patterns. Things will be going great and then all of sudden he wakes up often or has a heck of time going to sleep.
Oh, and as Cailen would say "This too shall pass!" (its true...it will pass...hang in there!)
ps....we still do a light "swaddle"...just because this really helps him to be calm and not have his legs get too crazy. I guess its kind of like getting tucked in and its such a routine that we are afraid to completely abandon. I know Cailen did it for quite awhile too (maybe not this long though)
Post a Comment