Friday, June 27, 2008

Easton's favorite song

Easton is a Coldplay fan. I discovered this because I got the new CD and in a moment of bad mothering decided to blast my new favorite song while in the car. I figured it wouldn't be too bad because he was screaming anyways (he hates his carseat) and according to the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book, babies actually like loud sounds, so I figured it was ok (yes, I always find a way to justify my bad habits). Anyhow, so he's screaming because he's annoyed about his safety and then I blast the song and he instantly quiets down and goes to sleep. Then the next song came on and he jerked awake and started screaming again. Being the observant mother that I am, I flipped back to my fav song and replayed it. He went back to sleep. After he was asleep for a few replays of the song, being the new and naive mother that I am, I allowed it to switch to the next song. Screaming. Different song... screaming. Back to the original song... quiet and asleep.

Needless to say, Dan and I have been experimenting with different songs and it is VERY clear he only responds to this particular song. After visiting Dan at work the other day, Easton was fussy when we left so I had to blast the song so he would stop flipping out. In case you were wondering, Coldplay's Viva la Vida #7 (which is also called Viva la Vida) plays approximately 9.4 times from the Yelm fire station to our house. And as such, it is no longer my favorite song. I really began disliking it after the 3rd straight day of listening to it while driving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! When my niece was an infant, I was babysitting and she was flipping out! So, I happened to stumble upon the same discovery that you have just found! But for her, it was a song by Jimmi Hendrix, called, "Angle". I too began to despise that song (I can now tolerate it!). I need to stop by soon to get my baby fix!! See you soon!

Tanya

Cailen said...

Colter's song was "I'll Fly Away" from the "O Brother, Where art thou?" soundtrack. And I had to sing along with it at the top of my lungs so he knew I was still in the car, too.

The Brights said...

Ha!! Grayson has several favorite songs...including anything from Jack Johnson, The Underdog by Spoon, Crazy by Gnarls Barkley and Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. Yes...I make my kid listen to a variety of music to my liking. There aren't too many cheesy kid's CDs that I play. There are a couple that I really like. He really likes Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson probably because I listened to it nonstop while I was pregnant.

Anonymous said...

**Or "Angel" if you were to spell properly!

--Tanya

The VanderHoevens said...

I wonder how many times you will get to play it to come up to Nicole's house tomorrow - that should be fun!