Thursday, October 8, 2009

Canning - 2009

It's that time of year again! Canning! Time to harvest what we've grown and store it for the winter. Just like every year. Just kidding, I haven't canned in 2 or 3 years and the last time I just did jam (well.. and pickles, which turned out so totally awful that I threw them out, so I figure it doesn't count if we didn't eat them).

Jess invited Missy Jo and I over to can a couple different things she wanted to make with a bunch of green tomatoes she picked from her dad's garden. We made/canned a relish type thing called "chow chow" which was totally yummy, then we made some chutney which we are hoping will taste better over time (that recipe might take a bit of tweaking for next year).

As it turns out we chopped up about triple as many tomatoes as what we needed, so we also froze several bags to use in various ways (that we aren't really sure about now, but I bet Jess will come up with something as she's pretty clever about those things).

Needless to say, we had a great time working on it together. I walked away with only 2 burns, so that's a pretty good day in my book.

Enjoy the pics!


Our canning pre-mess:


Grayson was very excited to take a picture of us... so here it is.... not bad for a 3 year old!


The fruits of our labor:

1 comment:

The Brights said...

hee hee! Aren't we cute!! That was fun...thanks again!