Sunday, March 22, 2009

Today's update

I feel a lot better, pain wise. But, I'm so tired I can't even function! I'm up about 5-6 hours each day, but only 1-2 hours at a time before I take a 3 hour nap. I'm not sure if this is just because of the surgery or because of not taking my thyroid meds. I knew I would be drained from the lack of thyroid meds, but I thought that wouldn't happen until at least another week or two. The thyroid hormone is a very slow acting thing and doesn't have the quickness factor of most meds, so it takes a very long time to start or stop being present. I'm really hoping this is just temporary because I don't think I can deal with this fatigue until May, which is when my doctor thought my cancer treatment would be. I can't be on my thyroid meds until after I have my cancer treatment... not sure if I had mentioned that.

Dan's here today taking care of us. Easton has found new independence since my surgery and is being the easiest kid ever (note: I am asleep for 19 hours each day, so is he actually being fabulous? I can't really say). He had been on the rather insufferable side (Easton not Dan... thought some clarification might be needed) because he just wanted me all the time. I had not been looking forward to trying to recover and having him whine for me the whole time. But seriously! He couldn't care less to have me near him right now. It's great (ok... like 80% great and 20% sad).

I should know if my parathyroid glands have started working hopefully by tomorrow evening. I suspect they are working because I'm not feeling any of the symptoms that had been present since the surgery. But, that might be because I am eating/drinking/taking a ridiculous amount of calcium. So, we'll see about that one.

I'll try to post more tomorrow!

3 comments:

The Brights said...

Well, I hope you don't have to feel this tired till May! What is the reason for not getting treatment till May?

Stewart Family said...

yeah, i guess it would help to clarify that! i have to wait at least 3 weeks for the swelling to go down and for my old thyroid meds to be completely gone from my system. then they take my blood and can figure out how much of my thyroid is still there, in case she missed some of it. I guess they measure how much thyroid hormone is in my blood and that tells them how much thyroid is still there, then that tells them how much odoine treatment i need to kill the rest off. but, 3 weeks puts us right at easton's first birthday, which i don't want to be all weird for. then my doctor is on vacation for a week after that, which puts us in early may. whew!

Anonymous said...

Kristen and Family, This is Chuck from Colorado, I stumbled on to your blog from Mike and Sue's family site. I had no idea about your condition. Amy and I will be praying and cheering for you. We will continue to read your updates. We plan on coming up to your area this summer, I know Aunt Fran had a simular condition. I will pass your blog on to her. Hope to see you all soon. Chuck and Amy.